A quick review!
I had a chance to walk to the Art Quilt Gallery when I was in New York last week. Let me tell you, seeing Sue Benner's work was a real treat. There is something wonderful about a vibrant art quilt hanging in a gallery (as opposed to a library). A gallery has the white walls, the spotlights and the space to really show and convey all the quilt has to say. I enjoyed taking in the details of her work in that space. The energy in her work is contagious. I found myself absorbing it all in. I left feeling happy. It's a great show! Bravo!
If you have not been to the Art Quilt Gallery in New York, let me tell you a bit about it. I had printed out the directions to find the gallery and the hours it was open, but when I got there, it was closed. My first thought was, "That's a bummer! What do I do now that I've walked all this way?" Well, I looked around the street. On the left of the gallery there was a quilt shop that was open, so I rang the doorbell to get in, thinking,"I might as well check this out while I'm here". I found out that the quilt shop horseshoes around to the back of the gallery! So, I spoke up and asked at the cutting table if I could see the gallery. They opened it up immediately for me (and three other women who must have been lingering and wondering about it too!)
After leaving the gallery, I stopped in to a little corner fabric shop at the end of the block, that was loaded with silk fabrics, and picked up a nice piece for a future project. So, there's plenty to do in the area if you plan a trip to see the gallery.
The gallery will be showing Sylvia Einstein next:
http://www.artquiltgallerynyc.com/The_ArtQuilt_Gallery_NYC/Summer_2012.html
I had a chance to walk to the Art Quilt Gallery when I was in New York last week. Let me tell you, seeing Sue Benner's work was a real treat. There is something wonderful about a vibrant art quilt hanging in a gallery (as opposed to a library). A gallery has the white walls, the spotlights and the space to really show and convey all the quilt has to say. I enjoyed taking in the details of her work in that space. The energy in her work is contagious. I found myself absorbing it all in. I left feeling happy. It's a great show! Bravo!
If you have not been to the Art Quilt Gallery in New York, let me tell you a bit about it. I had printed out the directions to find the gallery and the hours it was open, but when I got there, it was closed. My first thought was, "That's a bummer! What do I do now that I've walked all this way?" Well, I looked around the street. On the left of the gallery there was a quilt shop that was open, so I rang the doorbell to get in, thinking,"I might as well check this out while I'm here". I found out that the quilt shop horseshoes around to the back of the gallery! So, I spoke up and asked at the cutting table if I could see the gallery. They opened it up immediately for me (and three other women who must have been lingering and wondering about it too!)
After leaving the gallery, I stopped in to a little corner fabric shop at the end of the block, that was loaded with silk fabrics, and picked up a nice piece for a future project. So, there's plenty to do in the area if you plan a trip to see the gallery.
The gallery will be showing Sylvia Einstein next:
http://www.artquiltgallerynyc.com/The_ArtQuilt_Gallery_NYC/Summer_2012.html
The Art Quilt Gallery is run by Dale and Kathy, the owners of the City Quilter shop. They're doing a wonderful service to all Art Quilters by having the gallery. It's worth a trip to see both the shop, and the gallery. And the fabric and trim stores are so much fun!
ReplyDelete