The Maine Event , our local parlor meeting, has come and gone and what was left behind was a overwhelming sense of gratitude to my state and regional SAQA members, those whose messages I have read on the SAQA Yahoo group and the SAQA members who keep this organization going nationally and internationally, the members of and mentors for the Visioning Project and all the lovely people I have “met” and become friends with on the web.
I am much more a surface designer/scholastically trained artist but the support I receive from SAQA in all its permutations is “beyond rubies”. From my first exposure to art quilts in Pamela Allen’s workshops to today, as an incoming SAQA representative for my state, I have enjoyed the generosity and support of SAQA members. Although there are other organizations, which more closely address my work, I find the people and spirit of SAQA all I need. The term “generosity of spirit” most closely describes what I have experienced. I have found the “bigger” and “most successful” of the members to be the most down to earth and supportive. I have “met” and become friends with many wonderful people through the SAQA yahoo group. Locally I have been able to welcome other quilters and fiber arts to our Maine Event and have seen them join our ranks.
I have experienced wanting to give back and give more the longer I am in SAQA. Linda Kemshall once said, “No one is born knowing how to do this”. The spirit to show and mentor others is what I am most grateful for: generosity of spirit.
Hi Beth,
ReplyDeleteI've heard nothing but rave reviews for the Maine Event. Congrats to you and your helpers for another job well done. Some year when I don't have a show, I'll be there too!