Beth Berman- Artist Statement
![]() |
blue eyes I have always had a passion and self-taught ability for creating--from sewing at age 11, to painting as a teen, to pottery, jewelry, woodworking, quilting and more. After retirement from Dental Hygiene I used my time to rekindle my passion for art starting with a few traditional quilts then quickly moving into art quilts. I took workshops, read books on techniques and joined with other artists to explore media and techniques. I released myself from the bonds of commercial success and made process rather than product paramount. My mantra: “There is no win or fail, there is only MAKE” Sister Corita Kent 1. When did you begin to make art quilts? After making quite a few traditional quilts, I joined a local quilt group in Belfast, Maine. At Maine Quilts, the state quilt guild convention, I took two workshops from Pamela Allen. Her style of “fly by the seat of your pants” composition and assemblage of fabrics, mostly clothing from thrift shops not only opened my eyes, whetted my appetite for art but gave me the “permission” to do ANYTHING I wanted to do in creating a piece. From then on, there was no stopping me. I may not be a great artist but I’m having the time of my life. 2. Describe your art and it’s inspiration. I cannot describe my art because it is still in such flux that it won’t hold still long enough to categorize. I do know I love making marks and patches of color. My favorite techniques are dyeing, fabric paint, silk screening and non-traditional stamping. What I am trying to express in my work is the fragility of life on earth, our mother and home. I have written a detailed “visioning biography” on my website. |
![]() |
Eric for TQS 2 3. Where do you do most of your artwork? I am most fortunate to have a large studio in my home. I just re-organized it and it can be seen on my blog here. I use my large kitchen as a wet studio for dyeing and silk screening but I do plenty of “wet” things in my studio as well. 4. What are your goals? The main goal of my work is to bring awareness of OUR fragile existence on the earth. The earth itself will be fine but we are destroying the home we live in with ignorance (just not knowing) of our impact on the planet. The ends of the continuum are greed and arrogance at one end and ignorance and inconvenience at the other. I will mention here that I have a BS and MS in Environmental Science and Policy. 5. Do you teach, lecture, curate or have a business of your artwork? Let me address the business portion of the question. This only refers to me: I am not interested in the business of art. At the same time, I applaud everyone who wants to and does make a living doing art. Now that I said that, I AM teaching surface design. I will be returning to Fiber College in Searsport, Maine September 8th, for a full day silk screening class starting with making a silk screen and printing surface to a wide variety of ways to use that screen. I LOVE teaching and have done a number of tutorials on my blog. I am definitely open to doing more teaching. |
Right now the only place my work can be seen is at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA. I have one piece, “Fall”, that was accepted for the show. It speaks to the cycle of birth, life and death rather than the season. My work can also be seen on my website.
I work with women whose lives have been affected by alcoholism. I feel it is the underlying direction of my life and I spend many hours volunteering in this effort. All of the time not in this pursuit is given over to art, my art friends and making art with these friends. We call ourselves FIVE. We support and encourage each other in art and life. Life IS good.
Thank you Beth!
Please let us know if you would like to be interviewed for our new blog feature!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome! We'd love to hear from you!
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.