Thursday, April 14, 2011

An Artist's View, Rosalita E. Feero from Maine

Thank you Rosilita for joining with us in an artist's view interview.

My art is ever evolving and comes from a deep need to create. My creations are an outgrowth of my desire to interpret what I see and feel into art quilts. Every piece tells its own story which speaks to me and hopefully a buyer. It is rewarding to see an art quilt find an owner that loves what I have created.

Describe your art and its inspiration.

My art quilts are mostly nature oriented inspired by the world around me. When I was a child, I tried to duplicate the sunsets with paper and colored chalk. A deeper appreciation of nature was nurtured by my husband, a wildlife biologist. Usually, ideas start as a vision. The process of getting an art quilt from vision to final product is something akin to creative birthing. Other times, I’m inspired by a certain piece of fabric and from that an entire art quilt will spring to mind.
Ocean Bottom

When did you begin to make art quilts?

My journey to art quilts started about twenty years ago and meandered through traditional quilts and small, pieced wall hangings and finally to art quilts. Having my job outsourced just over a year ago, granted me the opportunity to pursue my passion full time.

Where do you do most of your artwork?

My home is my current studio. I laugh as there aren’t any rooms in my house, (except my husband’s bathroom) that does not have a sewing machine, a cupboard with fabric, a cabinet with dyes or something to do with my art.

What are your goals?

Enjoying my art and making enough money to continue it is my short term goal. Ultimately, I would like to have several galleries display my art and do a few fine art shows yearly. Alas, my ultimate goal is to have what I call my “Dream Studio”.
Pond Life

Do you teach, lecture, curate or have a business of your artwork?

Being a sole proprietor of a small business named, “Stoney Ridge Fiber Arts”, makes life  a little crazy. However, I do lectures for quilt guilds and do a little teaching when there is time. This August I will be teaching a dyeing class and a batik class at the Schoodic Art Festival on the coast of Maine.


Where can your work be seen?

Presently, my work can be seen at several Maine Fine Arts & Crafts shows. I have been asked to put some of my work in a gallery on the coast of Maine. My work can also be seen on my blog: www.stoneyridgefiberarts.blogspot.com

What are your interests outside of art?

Spending time with my husband of 44 years, our two children, their spouses and our 6 grandchildren comprise my most treasured interests. After them, I love to read, do techniques with my friends (We have a group we call “Five”; bet you can’t guess how many of us there are!), take pictures, garden, and enjoy each day as it comes. I am a very lucky person.

Please let us know if you would like to be interviewed for our new blog feature!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea Wen; it's great to get to know one of our talented SAQA members a little better. Thanks for sharing, Rosalita!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.